Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Thief in the Night

One of the greatest mysteries to me is how does a playwright survive starting a theater? Don't fret, for I will soldier on and find equal success as a writer and theater-owner, but in the infancy of achievement, I am reminded of old adages like "Rome wasn't built in a day."

It should be clear from my lack of posting in 2010 that it's been busy. Summary statements of weeks gone by is not why I'm back, however. Best to let the past unfold through stories than bulletins, I say. Back on the horse because I see this as a chance to write. To get the words out. To sort them. To exercise a muscle that has atrophied from being placed down the list on my priorities.

So the writing exercises begin. I may post them here. I may not. Not sure I'm completely ready for exercising in front of the window. Heck, I'm not sure I'm ready to go to the gym. But I need to (and that statement applies in metaphor and the literal). It'll come to be. Sings a muse on my iTunes. Gretchen Pleuss and her song "Yellow Brick Road". Absolutely inspiring and haunting. Beautiful emotion from someone so young. Perhaps she has an old soul.

Old soul. You've heard that phrase. I never know if I have an old soul or a young one. Sometimes, when I was a kid, I felt so grown up --- so ready to be a grown up. Felt like I'd seen it all, knew it all, been there, done that. I was a Calvin. If you get that, bonus points for ya. Now... young, old, middle-aged... how do you balance the soul with the body. The mind with the world.

Welcome to existence. Yeah -- doing one of those soundtracks to life now. On the rotation? "Dare You to Move" by Switchfoot. Yes, I admit, iTunes is acting as my personal life coach and motivational speaker this morning. What? Like you never rely on your favorite music to inspire? "The tension is here, the tension is here, between who you are and who you could be. Between how it is, and how it should be." Tell me that's not fitting and I'll give you a cookie.

The sun shines outside my window. Morning has arrived. And sleep -- well, I know I slept because there were dreams. Odd dreams. Too much "Burn Notice" methinks. It's not often that I slumber and visit a dreamscape where I'm some international thief. Not usually. Though this time, it felt more like Burn Notice meets Northern Exposure. Maybe the talks of Alaska have finally seeped down to the subconscious. Happens on occasion.

The time needed to talk about Alaska, or Daedalus, or Caught in the Act, or everything on the front would be more than I could spare this morning. We're coming up on T-Minus 6 hours to the really busy part of my day. So let's just focus on the busy part now and get to the really busy in a timely fashion.

Hopefully, I'll be back on here later this week. It would be good to blog. Even if it's gonna be rusty at first. Just gotta get back in the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on Thwarting Complacency.